在加拿大当教授,英文也不咋地

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl

送交者: xysReader 于 2005-8-20, 14:07:27:

偶然看了一个在加拿大当教授的中国人网页,发现其英文写作也不咋地

My laboratory, specializing in molecular evolution and bioinformatics, is actively recruiting new PhD and MSc students. I do not have any particular preference of specialization. The student can be trained from any branch of science, butmolecular biology majors with strong quantitative and computational skills are preferred. The general requirement is that the student needs to be intellectually mature, can think logically, and have shown real interest in biological research (e.g., by participating in biological research projects). For these applicants with little biology background, I have attached a list of reference books at the end of this page.

1. My minimum requirement for postgraduate students:
1. They should have read and understood at least two of my recent publications (those with me as the first author) with my guidance. Most of my publications are used in my courses and understanding at least some of them is important for fulfilling teaching assistant duties.
2. They should have gained familiarity with my software DAMBE. The software is used extensively in my teaching and my graduate students need to be well versed in DAMBE to be good teaching assistants.
3. They should have a research proposal written in the same style as a scientific manuscript identifying the scientific problems, the significance of such problems and how they going to solve these problems. A research proposal should deal with specific problems and should NOT begin with "Bioinformatics is the science of the 21st century......". Whether I accept a graduate student or not depends much on the quality of the proposal.
4. For PhD applicants, I would like to know what research projects they have participated and what is the outcome of the project (e.g., publications or software).
5. For international students, the admission also depends on (1) a minimum TOEFL score of 600 and (2) the award of an international scholarship by our university to waive the foreign student tuition. Without such an award, the financial support offerred by our department, at $17,500/year (in 2005), is insufficient for doing postgraduate studies in Canada. Your chance of getting the award depends mainly on your GPA. Our university will rank the applicants and recommend those top ranked ones for the award.
6. Please contact me first before sending off your application:
1. If you live in Ottawa or nearby areas, I would like you to come to for an interview and do a PowerPoint presentation on the work that you have done and are proud of (it does not necessarily be in biology).
2. If you live far away, please write about a piece of work (e.g., a project) that you have done and are proud of and email it to me, together with a list of courses that you have taken and the grades. Please also arrange two reference letters emailed to directly. I will arrange for a telephone interview if I am happy with the emailed documents.

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码(可选项): 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容(可选项):

URL(可选项):
URL标题(可选项):
图像(可选项):

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl