也谈“女王与外国人偷情”

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl

送交者: 田牛 于 2005-12-21, 11:54:21:

女摄影师在这里,正经聊天也好,故意调侃格利克也好,反正是想要他打开话匣子。在这里,将 “the queen’s secret sex life with aliens” 翻译成“女王与外星人有一腿” ,“女王与外国人偷情”, “女王与一群外国人不可告人的性生活”都不算错。
另外,aliens 有外国人的意思, 有外星人的意思,但也有圈外人的意思。多年前,我去托儿所接老二。她正和一小洋妞玩得开心,见到我连招呼也不打,拿起外套就跟我走。她的伙伴追上来拖住她: We are not supposed to go with aliens. 这句话,除了外星人,怎么解释都通。
接下来谈glasses 和lens 的关系。作为职业习惯,女摄影师有空就擦镜片和过滤镜很正常。小说没有提供任何证据显示Chinita是近视眼或老花眼。再说,现代的eyeglasses不再使用易碎的玻璃片子,也没有必要多擦。如果此刻格利克坐在豪华的长龙车里,有女孩子一面调侃他,一面擦拭glasses,我都敢译成了高脚酒杯。在日常生活里,我听到过有人将光学镜头,望远镜,钻石说成glass的。
最后,Most Americans do not see Europe as the world leader in scientific research. They see us as nothing but a quaint shopping district—an odd perception if you consider the nationalities of men like Einstein, Galileo, and Newton.
这里的us指欧洲,you是美国人,翻译的时候最好替读者转过来。我的翻译是:“多数美国人并不认为欧洲在科研方面领先, 他们把欧洲当作一个老派的购物区。他们还想过爱因斯坦, 伽利略和牛顿等人的国籍吗,真是不可思议。”

附48章原文:
BBC journalist Gunther Glick sat sweating in the BBC network van parked on the eastern edge of St. Peter’s Square and cursed his assignment editor. Although Glick’s first monthly review had come back filled with superlatives—resourceful, sharp, dependable—here he was in Vatican City on “Pope-Watch.” He reminded himself that reporting for the BBC carried a hell of a lot more credibility than fabricating fodder for the British Tattler, but still, this was not his idea of reporting.
Glick’s assignment was simple. Insultingly simple. He was to sit here waiting for a bunch of old farts to elect their next chief old fart, then he was to step outside and record a fifteen-second “live” spot with the Vatican as a backdrop.
Brilliant.
Glick couldn’t believe the BBC still sent reporters into the field to cover this schlock. You don’t see the American networks here tonight. Hell no! That was because the big boys did it right. They watched CNN, synopsized it, and then filmed their “live” report in front of a blue screen, superimposing stock video for a realistic backdrop. MSNBC even used in-studio wind and rain machines to give that on-the-scene authenticity. Viewers didn’t want truth anymore; they wanted entertainment.
Glick gazed out through the windshield and felt more and more depressed by the minute. The imperial mountain of Vatican City rose before him as a dismal reminder of what men could accomplish when they put their minds to it.
“What have I accomplished in my life?” he wondered aloud. “Nothing.”
“So give up,” a woman’s voice said from behind him.
Glick jumped. He had almost forgotten he was not alone. He turned to the back seat, where his camerawoman, Chinita Macri, sat silently polishing her glasses. She was always polishing her glasses. Chinita was black, although she preferred African American, a little heavy, and smart as hell. She wouldn’t let you forget it either. She was an odd bird, but Glick liked her. And Glick could sure as hell use the company.
“What’s the problem, Gunth?” Chinita asked.
“What are we doing here?”
She kept polishing. “Witnessing an exciting event.”
“Old men locked in the dark is exciting?”
“You do know you’re going to hell, don’t you?”
“Already there.”
“Talk to me.” She sounded like his mother.
“I just feel like I want to leave my mark.”
“You wrote for the British Tattler.”
“Yeah, but nothing with any resonance.”
“Oh, come on, I heard you did a groundbreaking article on the queen’s secret sex life with aliens.”
“Thanks.”
“Hey, things are looking up. Tonight you make your first fifteen seconds of TV history.”
Glick groaned. He could hear the news anchor already. “Thanks Gunther, great report.” Then the anchor would roll his eyes and move on to the weather. “I should have tried for an anchor spot.”
Macri laughed. “With no experience? And that beard? Forget it.”
Glick ran his hands through the reddish gob of hair on his chin. “I think it makes me look clever.”
The van’s cell phone rang, mercifully interrupting yet another one of Glick’s failures. “Maybe that’s editorial,” he said, suddenly hopeful. “You think they want a live update?”
“On this story?” Macri laughed. “You keep dreaming.”
Glick answered the phone in his best anchorman voice. “Gunther Glick, BBC, Live in Vatican City.”
The man on the line had a thick Arabic accent. “Listen carefully,” he said. “I am about to change your life.”

所有跟贴:

加跟贴

笔名: 密码(可选项): 注册笔名请按这里

标题:

内容(可选项):

URL(可选项):
URL标题(可选项):
图像(可选项):

所有跟贴·加跟贴·新语丝读书论坛http://www.xys.org/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl